I’m a dancer. You will know that if you have read my previous post, or if you have ever had a decently long conversation with me. I don’t try to hide it. That’s part of who I am. The problem is, that’s not all of who I am. I am more than ballet. I am more than what I put my time into. Sometimes I forget that, and sometimes that’s lost on those who don’t know me very well. My public identity is, at times, too tied to ballet.
When I first came to Uni, my public identity was variable based on who you talked to. To most of the school, I was not known at all. That is, I had no identity. To my brother’s friends in his class and above that, I was “Neil’s little sister,” the cute, younger, female clone of Neil Tewksbury (except to Marie Su, who knew me from ballet, but she’s the exception). To a few of the freshmen, I was “Neil’s sister.” To others of them, I was one of the pretentious subbies who had decided to skip subbie math. In my class, however, there was a huge variance. To a few people in my class subbie year, I was just a girl who played IFC on the U13 team. To others, I was Sophia’s friend from ballet. Also, I already had spent at least a few years of school with 11 of my classmates in middle school. To them, I had a complicated identity that probably included my nerdiness, my quietness, and the fact that I did ballet and soccer.
Almost as soon as I stopped soccer, or a year before, ballet took over my life. To be fair, I did stop soccer because I physically could not do both it and ballet, so I wasn’t very surprised. But still, it was weird that freshman year, ballet was one of only three extracurriculars I participated in, and the other two took up little time. I became known as just one of the ballerinas to people who didn’t even know me at Uni. “Hi I’m Maggie.” “Nice to meet you. You do ballet, right?” It got old quickly when I often had to prove myself as more than just a dancer. Some of my teachers ask about ballet all the time and that’s the only thing they know about me. Again, it gets old.
This semester, I’m taking a class at the U of I and working at a lab on campus. In both places, everyone knows me as the high school student pretending (not too badly sometimes) to be a college student. No one, or few people, know that I do ballet. It’s refreshing because at the lab, we chat about Champaign and school and all sorts of stuff. No one ever asks about ballet or makes any assumptions because I’m a dancer. To be fair, it is getting better at Uni now that I am a senior and talking to people about college apps, school, and other stressful senior year stuff. Also, I don’t mean to say that people are ignorant. I think the issue is instead that ballet takes up so much time, it is easy to forget that I do other things too, even for me sometimes. I am more than my sport. I am Maggie, and that means so much more to me than ballet.
I really like this post, because I think we do often categorize people by their extracurriculars. To be honest, when we were subbies I just knew you as the girl who skipped the first grade. But obviously you're much more than that. Also I totally relate to the pretending to be a U of I student. One time in my class, the teacher asked us to share our majors and I said "high school student" everyone immediatly shifted in their seats.
ReplyDeleteThis post is really enlightening. Uni is a pretty secluded environment, and we tend to categorize each other pretty rigidly. I'm sort of stuck in the middle somewhere where there isn't really anything I'm "known for" (I don't have any siblings that went to Uni, and I don't dedicate myself to one thing like many do). I sort of wish that I was known for something, but like you said I think people asking me about the same things all the time could get old really fast. I think your story about the lab really reflects how once we all go to college, we won't be categorized so strictly and we'll all get to grow more as people. :)
ReplyDeleteThis is a very interesting perspective. Now that you mention it, we really do categorize people by extracurriculars/notable interests a lot, and it gets difficult to see beyond that categorization sometimes. And we'll all have a fresh start soon and will be able to rid ourselves of any current categorizations.
ReplyDelete