Sunday, December 17, 2017

****

      I mentioned in my last blog post that I don't swear. Which is true. I don't. Now, I'm not morally opposed to cursing, and it does not offend me personally when others do it. In fact, I don't bat an eye anymore when I hear curse words spewed by peers or people on TV or strangers walking down the street. I remember during subbie year, possibly freshman year too, innocent little me would wince or even say, "don't say bad words" when a friend would curse in front of me. Now, I even gently tease one of my friends sometimes who is a few years younger than me because she freaks out when someone says a bad word in her presence.

      We read an essay earlier this semester about a mom who let her child have a short time of word freedom every day. When I was younger, I don't think there were any explicit rules in my house about words my brother and I could or could not say. If I had spontaneously started swearing profusely at age 11, yes my dad probably would have scolded me, but there were never rules because Neil and I never created a need for them. I don't think that strict swearing rules, complete with punishments such as washing the mouth with soap, are necessarily a good idea, because, just as the essay said, this will just encourage kids to want to swear more at school or elsewhere. Just having a positive role model (Neil) who refused to swear taught me not to do so myself.

       Curse words are a strange phenomenon in language and slang. They are words that have been somewhat removed from their original meanings and, somewhere along the line, given heavily negative connotations. In most every language, curse words fall within the categories of either vulgar and inappropriate or religiously offensive. Their only useful modern purpose, aside from strong exclamations, is to add emphasis. However, there is almost always a good alternative or synonym to use instead of the curse word. Or it can be removed altogether with no effect on the meaning. If this is the case, then why should I add these curse words to my common vocabulary?

       I have had people tease me for not cursing, calling me "innocent" or "cute." I have also had peers try t pressure me into saying "just one bad word," not believing that I really don't curse. I sometimes feel like I'm not taken seriously in that respect. One time, I was getting very frustrated with a machine at ballet, and I accidentally said a word I usually wouldn't. My friend laughed when I freaked out about it. "That's not even really a bad word. Why do you care so much?" she said. I was unhappy because I wanted to uphold my own personal rule about not swearing. I can't give you one reason why I don't want to curse, it just doesn't seem necessary to me, especially when some people may find it offensive.

5 comments:

  1. This is an interesting post, Maggie. I find it fascinating how wide a range of opinions and habits people have with regard to swearing. Strong language (a category that covers such a wide range of words and expressions) can be used in a wide variety of ways and for many different purposes. Cursing can be done in a way that's inventive, funny, and/or adds power to speech. But it can also be lazy, coarse, or mean spirited. Of course, context is everything, and there are some contexts where strong language doesn't belong. For me, the big distinction is whether swearing is for emphasis or directed at a person. l wince to hear anyone cursing at another person. It's always harsh, and can even feel abusive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the complete opposite, I feel like I curse too much and need to stop. One of these days a teacher is going to overhear me in the hallways and then I'm finished. I dont even know if Uni has detention! Am I just gonna be sent to the Shadow Realm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, and I totally understand where you're coming from. For me, sometimes the best way to articulate something is through a curse word, of course used in the right context and in the right company. I could cut down on my use of curse words for sure, but I do try only to say them in front of people who don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this post. I think I swear too much because like you said, some people consider it offensive and I don't want to bother anyone with my language. But on the other hand, it's just become a habit that I don't even think about. It was really cool and interesting to hear your perspective on strong language.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way. I rarely swear, but recently I've been thinking about why I don't. I guess I associate swearing with rebellious teenage culture and in a pretty ironic move I rebel from that culture as well. I'll have to think more about it though.

    ReplyDelete